Skip to main content

Gave Up Sugar (Again)


I tried to give up sugar today. 

But I didn’t.

I tried. 

I tried real hard.

It didn’t work.

The cookie won. 

I put up a good fight. 

But the cookie won. 

It was oatmeal. With big raisins.

Why did it win? Because it’s called “cookie” and not rutabaga. 

I’m weak. The cookie was strong. 

Why should I even give up sugar? 

Because I should. Every healthy choice I make will help me live another 50 years. 

But I can’t live the next 50 years without sugar.

I’m weak and I need my treats. Like some spoiled cat in a milk chocolate mansion. 

And I don’t want no sugar-free treats. They have artificial sugar with weird names, like sucralose and maltitol. And maltodextrin. What the hell is a “maltodextrin”?

I feel like I’m eating a science experiment. 

And artificial sweetener causes cancer in lab rats. I read it on the internet. Is it true? I don’t know. I read it on the internet. You tell me.

I bought a lab rat to find out, but then I felt bad. I don’t want my lab rat getting cancer. I named my lab rat, "Freddie." He’s from Jersey. Or New York. I can’t tell. Either way, he sounds like Robert DeNiro. 

And on Thursdays he's gluten-free and pure keto. 

Anyway, I don’t want Freddie getting cancer. 

We’ve bonded now over real oatmeal cookies with real sugar. I love him. I can’t give him maltitol-laced cake. I’m no rat killer.

I tried to eat artificial sweetener. But whenever I have it, I feel drugged. I feel foggy.

Can't think. 

Can't remember my name. 

I just want to curl up in a sugar-free ball and go to sleep.

It’s the artificial sweetener. I’ll stick to sugar. 

But no sugar before bedtime. I have weird sugar dreams.

Last night I ate a pint of ice cream and I dreamed about three snow leopards eating ice cream on a sandy beach. And they wouldn't share. 

I tried to get one of the snow leopards to give me some. His name was Andy. I said, “Hey Andy, can I have some of your ice cream?” He just snarled, waved a paw at me and said, “Back off buddy. Get yer own chocolate fudge swirl.”

So what should I do? I want cookies with real sugar. I don’t want maltitol-laced cake. 

And Freddie doesn’t either…

 

Thank you for reading, sharing & enjoying. 

Your support is greatly appreciated!

☕️ TIP JAR ☕️


GET MY BOOK TODAY! 


©2024 Bruce Palma. 
All rights reserved.

@realbrucepalma



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Famous Forks

I have decided (this morning at exactly 8:12 am PST) that I will not buy forks, knives or any other form of cutlery from an unknown company or person. I will only buy them from a celebrity endorsed brand. Someone who knows their stuff. A celebrity that is fully cognizant of the intricacies of steel. Someone who can design a spoon that rivals the Mona Lisa or the Eiffel Tower. I need to know my forks, knives and spoons (especially my spoons) have been birthed from the genius mind of any random pop star, tv talk show host or faded movie star from 50 years ago. A grill from an ex-heavyweight champion of the world (boxing, not bobsledding) will most definitely cook my burgers and vegan weenies better and tastier than some random grill designed by a faceless computer. Why would I buy a blender from some random brand with no celebrity’s picture on the box? That would be stupid. I’m not stupid; just mildly dumb. I want my 600 thread count microfiber sheets made from free-range llama hair to b...

Elbowtox

While the world toils and turns and turtles are singing through plastic oceans of crap, I’ve decided my elbows are ugly. This is no small matter. I thought I was one of the most handsomest, fit and fly specimens of the human race. But now I’ve gone and found out my elbows are ugly. Not just ugly; but hideous. I looked in the bathroom mirror (after flossing and singing the national anthem backwards) and noticed these two red bony growths on my arms. Like bright red walunts. “What are these?!” I sang to myself in the mirror. My reflection said, “Those are your elbows…proud of yourself?” I said, “Hell no! These things are hideous.”  They were probably bright red from sitting at my desk six hours a day pondering the nature of the universe and carb-free cupcakes, hunched over with my elbows grinding into the fake wood. Digging in with my thoughts and cupcake dreams I must’ve pushed my elbows into the wood too hard and now they look like little ugly red stumps. Something out of a fairy t...

A Day Without a Phone

  Today class, we will learn how to let go of our phones and spend the day with nothing in our hands except air. We will leave our phones in a secure locked drawer in my desk (me being the teacher and you the poor pupils with air in your hands) and we will not come back to class for at least 24 hours. It is advisable for you to contact the 22,000 friends, relatives and associates on all your social media platforms (and of course email) and inform them you will not be available for 24 hours. And before signing off, tell them not to send any cat videos, funny videos of people falling down stairs, updates on the fall of humanity or icebergs melting, or links to articles about how eating ice cubes cures cancer. You will be completely free of all distractions. Are we ready?! Now, you might be a little lightheaded as you step out into the world without your phone. That’s ok. It’s to be expected. It’s as if you left one of your hands or eyes or right lung at home. It’s as if you’re wa...